Sunday, September 10, 2006

Moving Out, the Musical

Because it is Sunday, and I have at my disposal a husband to chase the babe, I have been saddled to the vacuum cleaner most of the morning. I really do a great job of letting the pills of dust and floating pillow feathers and dried leaf bits build up to a tidy crust that is soooo much more satisfying to vacuum than a relatively clean carpet that was vacuumed only , say, last week. When you can actually see where the vacuum has been, not because of the wheel marks, but due to the variation in shade, that is brilliant.

I don't like to clean. Except for those rare times that I love to clean. I am bad at cleaning, because I get distracted by the millions of random pieces of paper, or toys, or missing socks, or DVD cases, or sunglasses, or dirty cups that call out to me on my loops through the house trying to clean. I can't focus on one task long enough to actually finish it. And, you know how "deep cleaning" can be. When you dig in, usually three or four other tasks need to be accomplished first. Before the vacuuming could commence, I actually had to reveal the floor, so to speak, by moving laundry baskets, slippers, more toys, a drying rack, rocking chair, hamper, new Sirius radio still in packaging, video camera, shoe box, et. al. from each object's perch on the floor to my bed.

Which means now my bed could use a good cleaning off.

All of this merriment is actually taking place at the expense of my heart. I look into cobwebbed corners (now stripped of their usual occupants by the hose attachment) and realize that soon these corners will belong to someone else. My comfortable untidiness will be playing itself out in a new house, far away. Yes, I am preparing for that eventuality.

And don't even get me started on having to pack.

3 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Blogger Lola said...

Ah yes: the cleaning conundrum. Having moved house recently, our new place is in such a state that I can never actually finish cleaning a room. And what tidying I do manage consists mainly of relocating the mess to another room. We've finally decided that the kitchen and the spare room (soon to be the nursery) are going to be dumping grounds for now, and everything else must be kept tidy on pain of death. We'll see how that goes...

Good luck with your efforts!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Shoot! This reminds me....I REALLY need to vacuum!

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Hetty Fauxvert said...

Ah, vacuuming carpet ... I had forgotten the esoteric satisfactions of that activity (since we put in hardwood and tile throughout our house to frustrate our one cat who is a chronic pee-er).

But does this mean the husband-taking-new-job thing is going forward? Best wishes with that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home