Friday, October 06, 2006

When did schools become targets?

Yesterday was the only day I took my daughter to school this week, as she was sick on Tuesday. I had to go back to school after dropping her off to deliver the show-and-tell item we had forgotten. The doors were locked.

Huh.

The secretary was right there to let me in, and I went to my daughter's class without thinking about it.

A few minutes later, in the foyer, I was handing in my tuition check and the UPS man came to the front door. He nearly threw out his shoulder trying to open the locked door.

The director of the school let him in and explained that having the front doors locked was now part of the school's policy. "It's the day," she said, meaning the age we live in.

I finally got it. We live about forty miles away from Lancaster, PA, where those five innocent girls were massacred. The director and I spoke of the tragedy and she said, "If those babies could be hurt..." and her voice trailed off. I didn't need her to finish the thought. I had spent the week thinking the same thing. If such devastation and evil could find the Amish community, we are all prey.

Speaking with the director had a profound effect on me, and I realized only later that is was her description of the girls as "babies." These girls are someone's babies. It highlighted the particular horror of the act. Who kills babies?

In the past few days there has been a fervor over the funerals for these children. Some hate group that affiliate themselves with God had planned to stage a protest during the services, to make a statement about our governor. This group doesn't really offer religion; more like sanctioned terrorism. No different than the Taliban or Al Qaeda or Neo-Naziism. It occurs to me as I think about these types of fanatics or zealots, whether they are Christian based, Muslim, Nazi, whatever, that they don't want the rest of us to worship their god and their laws. They want us to worship them. They want us to fear them. They want to pass judgement and rule our lives. They are playing at being God.

The "Christian" hate group never showed up, after much publicity, but you know who did? The Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club. They arrived to offer the families of the dead girls some protection, peace and dignity as they buried their daughters.

Thank god for the Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club.

4 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

They were talking about that motorcycle group the other day on DC101, which is the radio morning show I listen to. Apparently there's a group that assemble to block the protestors at funerals and they use their motorcycles to drown out the protestors.

It is sad that we have to worry about people killing children at all, much less having a bunch of fanatics showing up at a funeral to spread hate.

I believe that the website for that particualr "christian" church group is Godhatesf*gs.com. Yikes.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

It's absolutely horrific that things like that happen. Thank G-d for groups like the Vietnam Veterens Motor Cycle Club, for helping bring those families a little peace at such a difficult time in their lives. I've been very glad that most of the media has respected their wishes and stayed away from the funerals.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger theoneliner said...

I like these motorcycle people...who would EVER protest at anyone's FUNERAL.

Good grief.

I'm sorry that we live in a world where they lock the doors at your daughter's school.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Hetty Fauxvert said...

I'm glad that your daughter's school has started locking the doors. It grieves me more than I can express that they need to do so ... but I'm glad they're being proactive and not just wringing their hands.

I have great respect for the Amish community and the great compassion they have extended toward the killer's family (who of course are victims themselves, in a very real sense). But I wish the Amish had kept their school doors locked as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home