Friday, November 17, 2006

Good news

Again, nothing but good news.

Heartbeat, check. 116 bpm, which is absolutely average (meaning, falling exactly in the middle of the 112-120 target range that the tech had verbalized to me). Growth looks on target as well, especially the yolk sac, which is 4.1 mm. Between 3mm-4mm is what they hope to see.

Okay, okay, I could freak out that this is on the high side, but she wasn't concerned and further, my RE wasn't concerned. In fact, when I pressed him during our consult about whether the yolk sac could grow more and spell doom, he said what's really important is what it is measuring right now. Yes, it may grow, but that would be normal and the size right now is fine.

Actually, the tech went back through my records with me to show me how the yolk sac had grown in the visits during my last pregnancy. I think the first visit it was 3 mm, then the next visit (with no heartbeat yet) it was 4.3, and when they saw a heartbeat it was 6.9mm. So, if (as I am wont to do) I compare fritters to lugnuts, my yolk sac is behaving this time.

When my RE sat down with me to go over the ultrasound, he was extremely thorough, which I appreciate, although the pace at which he spoke gave me ample time to prognosticate that he was getting ready to drop a huge "HOWEVER" into the conversation. It never materialzed. The growth rate over the last week is good. He is counting today as gestational day 30, and to see a heartbeat on day 30 is really good (better than just good, that is, because seeing a heartbeat is always good).

Am I gloating? Forgive me. I don't mean to; I am just, well, hugely, immensely, immeasurably (and probably temporarily) relieved.

I asked what odds he would give this pregnancy of succeeding, as when we lost the last one, he chalked our chances up to about 65-70% (of having another baby). He said they were much higher now. Eighty percent.

Can you believe I am going to balk at 80%? Truly, I was hoping for something in the A to A- range (90%-95%) I want so badly to be "out of the woods" on this one, but I realize that it is still much too early. And even in a pregnancy that is going to produce a healthy baby and a mom with no "history", what odds of success would any doctor be able to quote? Maybe 90%? Maybe a little higher. I don't know, so I'll just have to cling tight to my 80%. Oh, these numbers can be fickle, I know. Eighty percent it is.

As we parted, the doctor reiterated that with any patient who has had three losses, there is always a lingering concern, making it difficult to be too confident. But for the time being, he said, he had no complaints about this one.

That makes two of us.

10 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

Awesome.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger ~r said...

beautiful update!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger nuttychemist said...

Wonderful, I hope this good news lets you enjoy the holiday

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger whatthef*ck said...

gloating? about how good things are looking? not possible. celebrating the little victories and relishing the progress? absolutely. my fingers are crossed for you.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Dear Casey, that's fantastic! I just got caught up on your last post too, and I laughed out loud at "manufacturing mode."

"Eighty percent" is adjusted for your pregnancy history. I'm positive he would have given you over 90 percent odds based on the performance of your newest occupant. So try not to worry about the numbers too much. (OK, you're welcome to slap me silly for that last sentence...)

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Alice said...

That's great news!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger casey said...

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. I am already on my Thanksgiving travels, so I won't write a full post, but I hope you all have a nice holiday. I'll see you after turkey and trimmings!

(And yes, I've told...it just made sense to me. Only my parents, so far; the rest of the crew as they trickle in. No grand announcement this time around!)

Gobble, gobble.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger whatthef*ck said...

just read your post about your daughter and the moustache. that's awesome and i can totally relate.

regarding your daughter and the questions and imaginary friends, i've experienced stuff like this myself and heard of others who've had too. little people are plugged into that shit. it's pretty cool. too bad we can't rely on their psychic abilities to tell us what the hell is going to happen.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That sounded great, Casey!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger theoneliner said...

how are things?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home