Friday, December 01, 2006

Now, where did my cap and gown go?

So I have graduated. From RE to OB. I need a tassle to move ceremoniously three inches . Nipple tassles don't count.

I am happy. Things are good. My RE actually used the word "Terrific." You'd think there'd be an exclamation point on the end of that one (Elaine) but he is just a laid-back kind of guy. Moved me up to the 95% success-rate subgroup.

I feel a little lost, to be truthful. After my appointment this morning, I finally made the call to arrange an official OB appointment. I hear good things about the practice I'm going to (didn't I tell you? I decided to switch from my former OB when, after my second miscarriage, she told me that she hadn't thought to treat me with progesterone because it wasn't my issue, but didn't honestly have time to--and I quote here--"keep up with all the literature."). The new practice has something like 6 or 7 doctors; there's got to be somebody in there who has some compassion for a skittish miscarrier like me.

Anyway, my little one and I are fighting head colds, although I finally broke down and started her on antibiotics in the middle of the night last night when she screamed from ear pain. Nevermind it was not the ear that her doctor had tagged with a beginning infection, nor that her father let her float in the tub before bed (and after the doctor's appointment) with nothing but her nose and eyes above the high-water mark. So, only nine more days of that bullshit to go. I am currently praying that my cold does not decide to migrate to my ears because what to do then? Antibiotics? Really? I just can't picture it. But I'm sure that noone will think it's a good idea to let an infection go unchecked in a pregnant woman.

I just realized another reason I feel lost. I don't know how to begin to tell people that I'm pregnant. My family knows, but no one else except one friend. I'm not looking for a big "outting" of myself. I don't want hugs and happy congratulations. I just want people to know. But how. I'm considering not saying a thing until it becomes uncomfortable for my friends to ignore my rapidly expanding waistline, thus forcing them to confront me.

I have a feeling that situation is well on its way, regardless. A neighbor/friend had us over for lunch today and apologized after I picked all of the feta off my salad. I love feta, but I think it's on the list of no-no's. She'll put that together with my immediate neighbor/friend who most likely spied me leaving in my husband's car this morning, heading where? while my husband piled himself and my daughter in my small Saturn, heading where?

It's a small neighborhood. Maybe I won't have to say anything at all.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Kathy McC said...

Wow! Things are moving right along! But I am disappointed that you aren't considering nipple tassles. ;-)

Don't worry if you have to take antibiotics. I was on them my WHOLE pregnancy with Kam because of a bladder infection that wouldn't clear up. It's much safer than letting an infection go.

Glad to see things are going well. I've been thinking about you and hoping all's kosher.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Dear Graduate, that's great news, though it's too bad about your cold. But Kathy is right, antibiotics are safe to take in pregnancy.

Now I'm going to go visit Akinstoo and find out about that intriguing money-making opportunity! Not.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger theoneliner said...

askinstoo..suck it.

oh, i'm sorry to hear about the colds. yikes.

I can't believe your dr said that. Moron. Glad you switched.

Don't worry you'll (eventually) get used to being a graduate ; )

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Just dropped in to say I'm thinking of you. XO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home